The most important task of a university is to create and share knowledge. Whether people are researching, teaching or learning at the FAU – they are all driven by a thirst for knowledge, and a wish to extend that knowledge. That’s because knowledge is never static, it is always in motion. This jubilee year offers some very special opportunities to satisfy your own thirst for knowledge.
The jubilee edition of friedrich will be available for the entire year of 2018. This magazine, of course, looks back on FAU’s 275-year history, and perhaps even more importantly, looks at the future of research and teaching at the FAU.
In 1993, the ‘History of the Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nuremberg 1743-1993’ was published by Prof. Dr. Alfred Wendehorst, the long-standing professor of the Department of Bavarian and Franconian History as well as the university archivist. Since then, a quarter of a century has passed. This gap in university history will be closed on this anniversary by one of FAU’s most celebrated historians, Prof. Dr. Gregor Schöllgen, with the book ‘Wissen in Bewegung. 275 Jahre FAU’.
The ‘275 Years of the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Erlangen-Nürnberg’ project details the Faculty of Medicine in its chronological development and structure, looking closely at the people and interests involved, the scientific, cultural, social and political conditions.
Dr. Thomas Reiter spricht über das Thema „Die Exploration des Weltraums – Aktuelle Höhepunkte und zukünftige Entwicklungen“.
The jubilee year begins with an international scientific symposium on the topic ’Future of Research - Research of the Future’. As the focus is interdisciplinarity: FAU scientists from all disciplines, together with international colleagues, will look at the future of research.
The Margravine Wilhelmine von Bayreuth (1709-1758) will be honoured in Prof. Dr. Christina Strunck’s international and interdisciplinary conference as FAU co-founder. The starting point of the conference includes new research on the library of the Margravine, donated to the Erlangen University on the occasion of its founding in 1743.