‘Knowledge in motion’ film competition for FAU’s 275th anniversary
What is it about?
In this jubilee year, FAU students, former students and employees are invited to creatively visualise ‘their FAU’ in a short film. Technical specifications: none. Whether a smartphone clip or professionally produced segment – what matters is the original idea. The three best films will be premiered at the Dies Jubilee. All films submitted will be shown in a ‘FAU Long Night of Cinema’.
The University’s motto, ‘Knowledge in motion’, allows a wide range of associations. We’re asking all students, alumni and staff at FAU to show us what knowledge in motion means to them at FAU. Whether at Roter Platz, Audimax, or in the Schlossgarten – the many faces of FAU are as diverse as the stories we associate them with. As part of the anniversary year, we would like to share these stories through film. Take part in our competition and show us in a film what FAU and its motto ‘Knowledge in motion’ means to you. Whether you take part by yourself or in a team – we’re really looking forward to seeing why and how knowledge is in motion for you personally at our university.
New deadline: Send us your film by 21 October 2018 with a short text explaining what your film is about and how it is connected to the FAU motto ‘Knowledge in motion’.
What are the prizes?
Our jury will select the three best films from all entries. They will be premiered during the 2018 Dies academicus celebrations and shown later on the FAU website. They will also be screened with all the other entries during an FAU film night.
The prizes for the three best entries:
- First prize: A trip for two in the Faculty of Engineering’s hot air balloon to get a bird’s eye view of FAU.
- Second prize: An Apple iPad, just right for your next video project
- Third prize :A 30 litre keg of our ‘Bright spark’ anniversary beer, so you can celebrate your success in the competition
The winners will be informed via e-mail. No cash alternative is available for prizes.
- Dr. Yvonne Mangelsdorf, Department of Art, Culture and Scientific Events at the Regional Office for Erlangen and Nuremberg at Siemens AG, anniversary partner to FAU
- A representative from Sparkasse Erlangen, anniversary partner to FAU
- Matthias Rex, film-maker (BR, ARDalpha)
- Prof. Dr. Kay Kirchmann, Chair of Media Studies at FAU
- Ulrich Berggötz, editor-in-chief of funklust.video, the student media initiative of FAU
Who can enter and how?
All students aged 18 and over who are registered at FAU for the 2018 summer semester, alumni, FAU staff as well as friends and partners.
Specifications for the films:
- Any type of camera can be used
- Language: German or English
- Maximum duration: 3 minutes
- Maximum 1 film per participant or team
- Minimum resolution: 720p (16:9; HD)
- Recommended format: mp4
All entries must be submitted in digital form:
- by sending a link to a location from which the film can be downloaded to firstname.lastname@example.org or
- by sending them on a data storage device via post to
A signed participation form must be submitted along with the film, by e-mail or post. All of the required information must be provided in order to participate.
Terms and Conditions
What else do I need to know?
All rights of use of the films are transferred to FAU with no restriction as to time, location or content when an entry is submitted. Participants grant FAU the right to use the films in all media, in print and online products, on all social platforms, for self-marketing purposes and for commercial use. The copyright remains with the originator.
Participants declare that they own all rights to the films and that they are not affected by rights held by third parties. Where individuals are shown, participants confirm that no personal rights are infringed upon and that the filmed individuals have given their permission to be filmed and this can be confirmed in writing if necessary. The originator is exclusively responsible for the content of the films.
The films must not have already been submitted to another competition or already published elsewhere.
The organiser’s decision is final.